Sunday, March 11, 2012

Review - Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Pub. Date: 8/2/2011Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers


Love. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don’t.
In Lauren Oliver’s stunning second novel, love has been declared a dangerous disease, and the government forces everyone who reaches eighteen to have a procedure called the cure. Lena Haloway is very much looking forward to being cured and living a safe, predictable life. But then she meets enigmatic Alex, who lives under the government’s radar. What will happen if they do the unthinkable and fall in love?



I know, I know-I'm late. Very late. I had mixed feelings when I first picked this book off the shelf. I just kept thinking "ANOTHER dystopian?" but I took the grand leap and dove in anyways, convinced that if everyone else was gushing over it, there had to be a reason. 
And boy, is there a good reason. I flew through this novel, finishing it in less than a five hour time period. I have to say, as someone who's read well past a suitable number of dystopians this year, this book stands out among the rest. 

The idea of love being a disease is super original, and I found that it took on a lot of unexpected turns. I'll try to avoid spoilers because I know this isn't a book everyone's picked up yet, but all I'm going to say is 

that ending: WOW. 

Overall, it was almost too easy to fall in love with the characters, especially Alex(swoon!). The descriptions throughout the novel made them so realistic it was impossible not to grow attached. The story line stays straight on point the whole way through, and doesn't disappoint. 
5 stars!!

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you. This book was amazing, I can't wait to read the second one! Delirium was so different with such a good plot, I could never put it down. Definitely recommended for everyone!

    ReplyDelete